3/4 cup whole milk (warmed 110 degrees)
2 1/4 tsp instant or rapid rise yeast
3 large eggs, room temperature
4 1/4-4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
12 tbsp butter (softened, cut into 12 pieces)
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
4 oz cream cheese, softened,
1 tbsp whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
1) Dough: Whisk 3/4 cup whole milk (warmed 110 degrees) and 2 1/4 tsp instant or rapid rise yeast together until yeast dissolves. Whisk in 3 large eggs.
2) In stand mixer fitted with dough hook, 4 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup cornstarch, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp salt on low speed. Add warm milk mixture in steady stream and mix for 1 min. Mix in 1 piece of 12 tbsp butter at a time. Continue until dough comes from sides of the bowl (about 10 min). If dough is wet and sticky, add 1 tbsp flour to mixture at a time until drier.
3) Transfer dough to floured counter and knead into smooth ball, then transfer to a medium, greased bowl, and cover with plastic wrap.
4) Pour 3 cups of boiling water into bread loaf pan an place in bottom rack of oven. Place bowl with dough on middle rack and let dough rise in oven until doubled in size (approx 2 hours).
5) Filling: Remove dough from oven and transfer to lightly floured counter. Combined 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar, 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp salt in small bowl.
6) Roll dough out into 18-inch square and, leaving 1/2 border around the edged, spread with 4 tbsp butter, then sprinkle evenly with sugar mixture—lightly pressing sugar into the dough. Roll dough into firm cylinder, pinch seams, and cut into 8 pieces (For smaller rolls, roll the dough into wider rectangle and cut the dough into 12 pieces). Transfer rolls, cut side up, to to greased cake pan. Cover pan lightly with plastic wrap and let dough rise in oven until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
To Make Ahead: At the end of step 6, don’t let the dough pieces rise. Place pan in fridge overnight or up to 24 hours. To bake, let sit at room temp for 1 hour, then bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 min—rotating pan halfway through.
7) Remove dough and pan with water from oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees, then bake for 35-40 min—rotating pan halfway through.
8) Glaze: In small bowl, whisk 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 4 oz cream cheese, softened, 1 tbsp whole milk, and 1 tsp vanilla. Brush buns with glaze and let cool for 30 min.
12 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tbsp molasses
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup + 1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, room temp
1 tsp vanilla
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2) Melt 4 tbsp butter and place medium bowl. Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 2 tbsp molasses and whisk until combined.
3) In separate medium bowl, sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt.
4) In stand mixer, cream remaining 8 tbsp butter and 1 cup white sugar until fluffy (3-6 min).
5) Add cocoa/molasses and mix until combined. Add 1 egg and 1 tsp vanilla.
6) Add flour mixture, 1/3rd at a time until just combined.
7) Spread remaining 3/4 cup sugar in shallow dish. Roll 1 tbsp of dough into a ball and roll in sugar.
8) Bake 1 sheet at at time at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes (when cookies have cracked and middle is just set.
1/4 cup white shortening
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp coconut flavoring
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tbsp whole milk
1) In stand mixer, combine 1/4 cup white shortening, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 tsp coconut flavoring
2) Add 2 cups confectioners’ sugar slowly and 1 tbsp whole milk. Beat until fluffy.
(Zach and Steph’s Wedding Cake—Coconut Frosting on White Cake).
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tbsp minced shallots
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup full red wine
1/2 cup unsalted beef stock
1/2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1. Mince shallots and sauté in olive oil with 2 tsp fresh thyme for 1 min over medium-high heat.
2) Add 1/2 cup red wine; cook 2 1/2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. 3) Add 1/2 cup beef stock; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half and mixture is slightly thickened.
4) Remove pan from heat. Whisk in remaining 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tbsp butter, and 1/2 tbsp mustard.
8-10 beets (red, yellow, purple)
1/3 shallot, peeled and sliced thin
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
6 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
½ cup flour
½ cup bread crumbs (panko)
1/4 cup pistachios
Microgreens for garnish
Chives for garnish
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2) Wash and trim the beets and pat dry. Place the beets in foil, making packets of 3-4 beets per packet. Drizzle with some olive oil and kosher salt. Wrap the beets tightly and place on a baking sheet then bake for 40 minute to 1 hour or until tender. Remove beets from the oven, unwrap and set aside to cool.
3) Once cool, rub the skin of the beets off the cooked beet. (Using a paper towel sometimes makes this easier). Cut the beets into quarters or chunks and place in a bowl. Set aside.
4) Place the sliced shallot in a small food processor and chop finely. Add 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp sugar and dice to combine until thickened and the shallots are minced fine. Season with salt and pepper. Pour ⅔ of the dressing over the beets to marinate until plating.
5) Chop avocado into chunks similar to beets.
6) Roll 6oz goat cheese into 1-inch balls. Gather three shallow bowls and place 1/2 cup flour in one bowl, whisk 1 egg in another bowl and place 1/2 cup bread crumbs in the remaining bowl. Dredge a goat cheese ball first in flour, then egg and then in the bread crumbs. Repeat flour, egg and bread crumb steps one more times. Set aside and repeat with the rest of the cheese balls.
7) Cook cheese balls in 1 tbsp olive oil in sauté pan (or deep fry in 2-3 cups canola oil) in batches of three or four at a time until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
8) Plate the marinated beets with the avocado chunks and the fried cheese balls that have been sliced in half or kept whole. Drizzle with the remaining shallot dressing and a sprinkling of microgreens, 1/4 chopped pistachios and snipped chives. Season with additional salt and pepper.