Prep Time: 15 min (plus 1 hour to chill)
7 ounces ladyfingers
8 oz freshly brewed extra strong coffee or espresso, cooled (decaf)
2 eggs whites
4 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 3/4 cups mascarpone cheese
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated or cocoa powder for dusting
1) Evenly spread ladyfingers in the base of a deep, rectangular serving dish and pour coffee over them.
2) Using a stand-mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar for several minutes until pale and fluffy.
3) Gently fold in 1/3 of the mascarpone at a time into the egg yolk/sugar mixture until incorporated.
4) In a clean, grease-free bowl, stiffly whisk the egg whites
5) Gently fold in 1/3rd of the egg whites at a time into the mascarpone/yolk mixture
6) Cover ladyfingers with a single layer of the mascarpone cream and sprinkle top with grated chocolate or dusted cocoa.
7) Dust with cocoa and chill in the refrigerator for about 3 hours.