1/4 cup almond flour (food-processed almonds)
2 tbsp flour
6 tbsp sugar, divided
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Single crust pie dough (pre-made pie crust)
3 apples peeled and sliced thin
Milk or cream, for brushing
Caramel sauce, for drizzling (optional)
1) In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup almond flour, 2 tbsp flour, 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg. Set aside.
2) On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie dough in 14-inch circle.
3) Move dough to pan covered with parchment paper, and spread the flour mixture out evenly over the pie dough, leaving a 2-inch border around the outside.
4) Place the sliced apples over the filling, arranging them in overlapping patterns. Fold up the pie dough over the filling, pleating the dough every two or so inches.
5) Brush the top of the pie dough with milk and sprinkle the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar over the dough and apples.
6) Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes to firm and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7) Bake at 400 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the apples have visibly softened. Serve with a topping of whipped cream or side of vanilla ice cream, with a drizzling of warm caramel.