3 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
4 tsp apricot jam
6 Italian plums, sliced (or any fruit that you choose)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
1) Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper; set aside.
2) In a small saucepan, melt 3 tbsp butter and 1/2 cup sugar together.
3) Stir in 4 tsp jam until combined and simmer the mixture for 3 minutes, until the sugar is completely dissolved.
4) Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan, and allow to cool completely.
5) Once the sugar mixture is cooled, arrange the sliced plums across the bottom of the pan; set aside while you prepare the cake batter.
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a medium bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt.
3) In stand mixer, cream 1/2 cup butter and 2/3 cup sugar—about 3 minutes.
4) Add 2 eggs, one at a time.
5) Add 1 tsp vanilla.
6) Add the flour mixture in 1/3 at a time, alternating with 2 additions of milk. Do not overmix.
7) Pour the cake batter over the prepared fruit.
8) Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
9) Allow to cool in the pan, on a wire cooling rack, for 30 minutes. Turn onto a serving plate or cake plate and serve warm.