3/4 cup whole milk (warmed 110 degrees)
2 1/4 tsp instant or rapid rise yeast
3 large eggs, room temperature
4 1/4-4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
12 tbsp butter (softened, cut into 12 pieces)
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
4 oz cream cheese, softened,
1 tbsp whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
1) Dough: Whisk 3/4 cup whole milk (warmed 110 degrees) and 2 1/4 tsp instant or rapid rise yeast together until yeast dissolves. Whisk in 3 large eggs.
2) In stand mixer fitted with dough hook, 4 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup cornstarch, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp salt on low speed. Add warm milk mixture in steady stream and mix for 1 min. Mix in 1 piece of 12 tbsp butter at a time. Continue until dough comes from sides of the bowl (about 10 min). If dough is wet and sticky, add 1 tbsp flour to mixture at a time until drier.
3) Transfer dough to floured counter and knead into smooth ball, then transfer to a medium, greased bowl, and cover with plastic wrap.
4) Pour 3 cups of boiling water into bread loaf pan an place in bottom rack of oven. Place bowl with dough on middle rack and let dough rise in oven until doubled in size (approx 2 hours).
5) Filling: Remove dough from oven and transfer to lightly floured counter. Combined 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar, 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp salt in small bowl.
6) Roll dough out into 18-inch square and, leaving 1/2 border around the edged, spread with 4 tbsp butter, then sprinkle evenly with sugar mixture—lightly pressing sugar into the dough. Roll dough into firm cylinder, pinch seams, and cut into 8 pieces (For smaller rolls, roll the dough into wider rectangle and cut the dough into 12 pieces). Transfer rolls, cut side up, to to greased cake pan. Cover pan lightly with plastic wrap and let dough rise in oven until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
To Make Ahead: At the end of step 6, don’t let the dough pieces rise. Place pan in fridge overnight or up to 24 hours. To bake, let sit at room temp for 1 hour, then bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 min—rotating pan halfway through.
7) Remove dough and pan with water from oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees, then bake for 35-40 min—rotating pan halfway through.
8) Glaze: In small bowl, whisk 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 4 oz cream cheese, softened, 1 tbsp whole milk, and 1 tsp vanilla. Brush buns with glaze and let cool for 30 min.