3 cups plus 2 tbsp flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, cold and cut into cubes
1/4 cup + 4 tsp brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, cold, lightly beaten in a separate bowl
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups dark chocolate chips
1) In a medium bowl, sift and mix together the 3 cups plus 2 tbsp flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside.
2) In stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat 1 cup butter (cold and cut into cubes) until it comes together in one lump, about 1 minute. Add in 1/4 cup + 4 tsp brown sugar and 1/2 cup sugar, and beat for another 1-2 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves into the butter.
3) Lower the speed to medium-low, and mix in 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla and beat until mixed (the batter will be lumpy). Gradually add in the flour mixture, beating until a little flour remains. Fold in 2 cups chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
4) Divide the dough into 12 even pieces. Shape the dough loosely into a ball, but do not roll it. Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes but up to 12 hours before baking.
5) Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake cookies for 18-22 minutes, until light golden brown. When in doubt, take your cookies out early.