- 6 Strips Thick Cut Bacon
- 2 Small (or 1 Large) Ham Steaks (but into cubes)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 scallions, white bulbs and green tops chopped and reserved separately
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 Red Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 pound (about 3) boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 11 oz can corn kernels
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (quart) can low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pre-heat oven to 425. Lay 6 strips of bacon on parchment paper lined cookie sheet and cook for 13-15 min until golden brown
In a large saucepan (or dutch oven), melt butter over moderately low heat. Add scallion bulbs (whites), bell pepper, red onion, garlic, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes.
Stir in potatoes, corn, bay leaf, broth, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
In a blender or food processor, puree remaining 2 cups corn with milk.
Stir in milk and black pepper. Simmer until soup thickens slightly, 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove bay leaf. Stir in scallion greens (and reserve a portion of scallion greens aside to later top each bowl of soup with), and add Ham and bacon (cut into bits).