Makes 4 scones
1 1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/3 cup grated sharp cheddar (plus extra of topping)
4 slices bacon
2 eggs + 1 yolk
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) cold butter, grated
1) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.
2) Start cooking the bacon and also separtely scrambled two eggs until dry.
3) Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, black pepper and cheese, then set aside.
4) Chop cooked bacon into small bits.
5) Cut the butter into the flour mixture so that some chunks remain (or grate it in) , add in the chopped bacon, and toss with flour so that the bacon is dredged.
6) Whisk the egg yolk into the buttermilk (Save 2 tbsps of milk mixture to brush on top of the scones before adding the cheese on top before they go in the oven) and incorporate the rest into the flour mixture so that it is well combined.
7) Turn the dough on a floured surface and knead a few times so that it comes together. Fold in the eggs (working fast since the eggs will be warm) and when everything is combined, pat into a circle or a long rectangle with a flattened top about 1 inch thick.
8) Cut into triangular shapes and transfer to the baking sheet. Brush with buttermilk and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and tons of cheddar cheese.
9) Bake for 20-25 minutes and serve immediately.